While many Albertans eagerly await the first of six $50 electricity rebates promised by the province, a segment of condo owners were disappointed to learn that they live in buildings that are eligible for the program. Considered ineligible.
The Alberta government will extend the $50 electricity rebate for another 3 months.
Phil Rosenzweig lives at Rio Vista Condominiums in Lethbridge, which he said has 124 units and about 300 residents, not all of whom will receive the exemption. The building is 55+ and he said the average age of residents is around 80.
“This building, most large buildings in Lethbridge — and many other places in the province — will not get a strict exemption, because they are one-metre buildings,” he said.
With only one meter tracking the electricity used in Rosenzweig’s building, it does not qualify under the limit of 250 megawatt hours used within the previous year. Residents are therefore not eligible for assistance, even though they cover their individual utility costs through their monthly condo fees.
“Overall, none of us are exceeding the limit, but because they’re grouping us as one building, the building” is over the limit, Rosenzweig said.
If Rio Vista residents were eligible, the $50 rebate that extends through December would total more than $37,000.
“If you live in a townhouse, or if you live in a condo and you pay your own electric bill, you get a rebate. But the rest of us don’t. We don’t think it’s Appropriately, and Minister Nellie’s department has created two classes of condo owners.
Alberta government reverses course, will continue coverage of insulin pumps.
Rosenzweig sits on the board of directors. Condo Owners Forum Society of Alberta (COF), which wrote a letter to Dale Nally, Associate Minister of Natural Gas and Power, earlier this month.
COF estimates there are more than 1 million condo owners in Alberta, and Rosenzweig believes half of those are single-unit buildings. Many large buildings that were built more than 20 years ago use one meter, he said.
In a statement to OlxPraca, Associate Minister Neely said, “Thousands of condo and apartment units are among the more than 1.9 million homes, farms and small businesses that qualify for electricity rebates, and many have already received theirs this month. have received the first exemption. Submetered residences are not eligible for the exemption, as they are not directly connected to the distribution system and submetering providers are not regulated by the Alberta Utilities Commission.
While not every customer will qualify for the electricity rebate, it is one of the more affordable energy programs the province has implemented, Neely said.
“Our primary goal for the waiver was to deliver the program as efficiently and effectively as possible in terms of cost, timeline and burden on ratepayers. A bill-based program through regulated providers – for which the District The need for a direct connection to the nutrition system – was determined to be the most efficient and effective and with the least burden on the consumer,” Nally said.
Alberta electricity rebates begin in July.
Performance is not a valid excuse, NDP Leader Rachel Notley said at a news conference in Calgary on Friday.
“Not only were they dragging their feet in the decision and in the administration of the decision, they were very sloppy in the design of the solution,” Notley said.
“In my view, efficiency doesn’t apply if some portion of that efficiency is preserved to the exclusion of tens of thousands and maybe millions of Albertans who probably need the exemption the most. So it’s a fundamentally unfair program. .
According to Nally’s office, 1.9 million homes, farms and small businesses qualify for the exemption. The cuts will begin showing up on July bills, and the province says some customers have already received their first rebates.
© 2022 OlxPraca, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.